Skip to content
- 6 bell peppers⠀
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey or ground chicken)⠀
- 1 small onion ⠀
- 3 garlic cloves ⠀
- 1 can small diced tomatoes ⠀
- 1 cup quinoa- uncooked (I used tricolor)⠀
- 1 1/4 low sodium beef broth (or turkey or chicken broth if you are using ground turkey or chicken)⠀
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce⠀
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning ⠀
- 1/2 teaspoon salt ⠀
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper ⠀
- 2 1/2 cups marinara sauce (divided) ⠀
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the tops off the peppers (reserve the tops), remove seeds, top stem and membranes- discard them.
- Using a food processor finely chop onion, garlic and bell pepper tops.⠀
- In a large skillet brown beef, onion, garlic and bell pepper mixture and salt over medium high heat until no pink remains.⠀
- Stir in the diced tomatoes with juice, quinoa, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cover. Cook about 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Stir occasionally. Add 1/2 cup marinara sauce.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Fill each pepper with the mixture. Spoon remaining marinara sauce over peppers.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and top peppers with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!